LONG BATTERY LIFE, LONG RANGE, AND HIGH ACCURACY
Compromise is a fact of life, whether personally or professionally. Take business, for example. While you might want fast delivery times, high quality and low prices, you’ll never be able to find all three at the same time. Instead, you’ll most likely be able to choose two and compromise on the third. It’s the same when it comes to positioning. You may need long battery life, long range, and a high level of accuracy, but you can’t have all three. At least, that used to be the case…
Previously, GPS and a strong signal took care of accuracy and range – but a limited battery supply eventually compromised GPS positioning. Similarly, Bluetooth made accuracy and long battery life possible, but fell down on the range, with a reach of just 10 meters. Another alternative, sub-GHz radio frequencies, scored high on the battery power and range scales, with an outdoor range of over 1,000 meters, but came up short on positioning accuracy. All of which goes to demonstrate that when it comes to battery power, accuracy, and range, two out of three is the best you can hope for. Until now, that is.
That’s because Wittra, with its forward-thinking philosophy and commitment to technological innovation, has devised a solution that combines the best of range, battery life, and accuracy, with zero compromises needed. Too good to be true? Let’s take a closer look…
THE WITTRA SOLUTION FOR LONG-RANGE, ACCURATE POSITIONING
The starting point for Wittra’s technology, sub-1GHz’s proven advantages indoors, outdoors and over long distances make it the natural foundation on which to build our unique solution. And while it can be difficult to accurately measure distance using sub-1GHz frequencies with narrow bandwidth, the five key concepts we’ve identified, used in tandem with sub-1GHz and our patented solutions, have helped us to overcome this challenge and set a new benchmark for long-range positioning within the Internet of Moving Things.
So what are these key concepts that have contributed to our eliminating the need for compromise in effective positioning? Namely:
- The delivery of long-range, energy-efficient positioning over 300 meters through the narrow band sub-1GHz radio.
- Geofencing for larger areas, i.e. using the Wittra base station(s) within a predefined area, and either automatically activating the Wittra tag or switching to another technology, such as GPS, when a device is moved outside the defined perimeter.
- Metropolitan scale coverage through the use of the WI-Sun mesh network, where our base stations form part of the collective Wittra® United Network, thereby resulting in a high build-out rate and dense wireless coverage.
- Extending range and reach even further by using built-in Sigfox and NB-IoT modules in areas where the Wittra® United Network has yet to build a significant presence, thus allowing the Wittra® tag to use the Sigfox IoT network or NB-IoT networks as a cloud gateway.
- Actively managing power through the use of multi-range solutions. For example, should a Wittra tag be stationary, tracking is not required as its position is known. Thanks to the built-in accelerometer, the tag will only be tracked once it starts moving again, thereby saving precious battery life.
By refusing to compromise on either accuracy, range or battery life, we’ve succeeded in developing a solution that gives equal priority to all three, making it a leader within the Internet of Moving Things (IoMT). If that’s a solution you’re interested in, simply contact us, or download one of our technology reviews to learn more.
We can’t wait to show you Wittra.